Often we have been asked the question - Why should I go for group therapy with a professional when my sister, aunt, friend, neighbour etc can give advice/guidance? How can I discuss my problems in front of a group? I have no problems in life, why should I register for therapy?
Therapy can be used both for problem solving and growth – curative and preventive. Participants find solutions and also impetus to move towards a more fulfilling life. A professional help does not only provides answers, it empowers the individual as well, individuals can become independent, incharge of their lives.
- Group therapy allows people to receive the support and encouragement of the other members of the group: People participating in the group are able to see that there are others going through the same thing, which can help them feel less alone.
- Development of socialization techniques: The group setting is a great place to practice new behaviors. The setting is safe and supportive, allowing group members to experiment without the fear of failure.
- Interpersonal learning: By interacting with other people and receiving feedback from the group and the therapist, each individual can gain a greater understanding of himself or herself.
- Group members can serve as role models to other members of the group: By seeing someone who is successfully coping with a problem, other members of the group can see that there is hope and recovery is possible. As each person progresses, they can in turn serve as a role model and support figure for others. This can help foster feelings of success and accomplishment.
- Group members are able to share their strengths and help others in the group, which can boost self-esteem and confidence.
- Group cohesiveness: Because the group is united in a common goal, members gain a sense of belonging and acceptance.
- Catharsis: Sharing feelings and experiences with a group of people can help relieve pain, guilt, or stress.
- The corrective recapitulation of the primary family group: The therapy group is much like a family in some ways. Within the group, each member can explore how childhood experiences contributed to personality and behaviors. They can also learn to avoid behaviors that are destructive or unhelpful in real life.
For it is not that the therapy group provides answers to one problem; Therapy group is an experience and a platform to learn how to find answers for all other contexts in life too. Within the confines of the therapy room, and the environment stimulated during the therapy, individuals find their inner strength and feel empowered to find solutions for a lifetime.
Nibbana Counselling and Psychotherapy Centre is starting another batch of Group Therapy Sessions from April 11, 2015. The therapy group will run for 9 weeks on Saturday between 3 pm to 6 pm and will be led by psychotherapist A Geethan. Members gain a sense of belonging and acceptance in the group which makes it easier to face life’s challenges.
"If you or anyone you know are in the midst of making important decisions in your life, or are facing relationship issues, or feeling lonely and depressed or have a desire to make your life more meaningful, group therapy can be the support you need. Make the decision now !!"
For more details on the group therapy sessions, visit website www.ncpc-india.com. Call 98410 73211 or 98402 91089 to register.